Sprint has just rolled out the Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920 ) monthly security updates. The update will move the device current Android Marshmallow to build version N920PVPS3BPK1 from the previous released version N920PVPS3BPJ2. This update now brings the November Android security patches. The packaged contains around 60 security patches from Google, while Samsung also provides around 14 patches for its vulnerabilities.
So once again, this update is only a security patch update and it does not bring any noticeable adverse effect to the device. It’s not a Nougat update either, but might be the preparation for the said upcoming latest Android version.
OTA Update version N920PVPS3BPK1
- November Android Device Security Updates
Build version details:
- Android version: 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
- Android security patch level: November 1, 2016
- Baseband version: N920PVPS3BPK1
- Kernel version: 3.10.61-9010628
- Build number: MMB29K.N920PVPS3BPK1
In addition to this, the November Android security updates contains 60 security patches provided by Google and 14 patches for Samsung vulnerabilities.
How to Update the Galaxy Note 5 via Over-The-Air (OTA)
The Over The Air (OTA) update requires you to connect your Galaxy Note 5 to a Wi-Fi network to avoid high data charges. Ensure that your device battery is recharged before performing the software update. The phone must not have been rooted or otherwise the update may fail or it may cause a fatal error. You must fully unroot your Galaxy Note5 first before performing the software update.
- From the device Home screen, simply touch Apps.
- Touch the Settings (gear icon).
- Touch the System tab.
- Touch About device.
- Touch Software update.
- Touch Check for updates. It will then prompts you to the new software update.
- Lastly, touch the Install button, then OK.
Update your Galaxy Note 5 using your computer via Smart Switch PC
This method is always handy on some part, especially if you have missed the update and you’re left behind to the update’s scheduled dates that usually only took place and runs in weeks. You can still easily update your Galaxy Note 5 using your PC or Mac. All you need is a USB cable and then the Smart Switch firmware update tool. Smart Switch is similar to the before Kies that have been used to older devices. Also, Smart Switch has the capability to back up and restore your data in just a few clicks away.
- Download Smart Switch for PC and MAC computers version and then install it on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy Note5 on your computer using the USB cable.
- Run Smart Switch, then wait until it recognizes the connection of the device. If the update is available it will automatically prompt you to update your device.
- Click on the Update button. Some other steps like on how to backup and restore your data is included in the instructions.
Again do not touch the phone like disconnecting the USB cable if the software update has started. You may need to wait much longer while updating via Smart Switch as your firmware is being served by Samsung itself. The Smart Switch firmware file is a much larger to the ones released via Over The Air but were still the same file.