A new update is heading to Australia’s Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920I). This released were dubbed as build version N920IDVU3BPL2 and it’s said to bring the new Google’s Android security update for the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. It is quite similar to the previous released build version N920IDVU3BPJ3 that was brought the October Android security packaged, while this one contains the December Android security patches.
In addition, this new software builds are still in a testing phase and will soon start to roll out by the end of December, according to Australian carriers such as Optus and Telstra. However, the factory unlocked version of the Galaxy Note 5 (“XSA” variant) might soon receive the update much earlier before the 30th of December.
What’s in the update version N920IDVU3BPL2?
- December Android Security Updates
- Other global bug fixes, stability and performance improvements
Technical details :
|Android security patch level:||1 December 2016|
|Build number:||MMB29M. N920IDVU3BPL2|
|Android security patch level:||1 October 2016|
|Build number:||MMB29M. N920IDVU3BPJ3|
The Android security patches is some kind of Android technical matters, but all of the details about the December Android security update were described at Android Security Bulletin. (https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2016-12-01.html)
How to Update the Galaxy Note 5 via Over-The-Air (OTA)
The Over The Air (OTA) update requires you to connect your Galaxy Note 5 to a Wi-Fi network to avoid high data charges. Ensure that your device battery is recharged before performing the software update. The phone must not have been rooted or otherwise the update may fail or it may cause a fatal error. You must fully unroot your Galaxy Note5 first before performing the software update.
- From the device Home screen, simply touch Apps.
- Touch the Settings (gear icon).
- Touch the System tab.
- Touch About device.
- Touch Software update.
- Touch Check for updates. It will then prompts you to the new software update.
- Lastly, touch the Install button, then OK.
Update Galaxy Note 5 using a computer via Smart Switch
This method is always handy on some part, especially if you have missed the update and you’re left behind to the update’s scheduled dates that usually only took place and runs in weeks. You can still easily update your Galaxy Note 5 using your PC or Mac. All you need is a USB cable and then the Smart Switch firmware update tool. Smart Switch is similar to the before Kies that have been used to older devices. Also, Smart Switch has the capability to back up and restore your data in just a few clicks away.
- Download Smart Switch for PC and MAC computers version and then install it on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy Note 5 on your computer using the USB cable.
- Run Smart Switch, then wait until it recognizes the connection of the device. If the update is available it will automatically prompt you to update your device.
- Click on the Update button. Some other steps like on how to backup and restore your data is included in the instructions.
Again do not touch the phone like disconnecting the USB cable if the software update has started. You may need to wait much longer while updating via Smart Switch as your firmware is being served by Samsung itself. The Smart Switch firmware file is a much larger to the ones released via Over The Air but were still the same file.